Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weighty Matters

Governor Chris Christie and I have three things in common: we both think President Obama is hell of a guy, we're both overweight, and neither of us have any interest in other people's feedback about our weight.

A little background: I almost starved to death twice due to Crohn's disease. The first time was due to a misdiagnosis, the second just because we couldn't get it under control. Thankfully it is now, but, yeah...I got very, very thin...down to 80 pounds the first time and 100 pounds the second time, though I was sicker (like ICU sick) the second time because I was so anemic.

What I learned during that time:

I really like to eat.

I would rather eat than be thin.

I also decided that if I could ever eat what I wanted to eat, that's what I was going to do. (Actually, there are still a ton of foods I can't eat in spite of the Crohn's being under control. Ironically, a lot of them are fruits and vegetables.) And that's what I did.

Ultimately, after a few months of me doing things like oh, having a large slice of apple pie for breakfast, lasagna for lunch, lasagna for dinner, and another slice of apple pie for dessert, I gained back that weight and  then some and people around me, including my doctors, started saying "Uh....."

And I said, "I don't care."

Of course, I started to gain weight, especially since I also have CFS/ME (known by most people as chronic fatigue syndrome, though that's a dumb name and we're working to get it changed.) One of the things about CFS/ME is that exercise--even light exercise--makes it worse. So, yes, I have a medical excuse not to exercise, which is kind of cool.

What I don't like about being overweight is that total strangers make judgments about me. Like they think I'm lazy (no, but see the chronic fatigue syndrome part), or I'm not motivated (uh yeah....try getting that past anyone who actually knows me) or I'm unhappy.

Quite the opposite, I'm the happiest I've been in years. And, except for things I don't believe in like body mass index, I'm the healthiest I've been in years. Even my doctors have to agree with this. I may be overweight, but I have

low blood pressure
low blood sugar
low cholesterol
a healthy heart

This summer, my energy level was higher than it had been in twenty years and I was walking much longer distances than I did back in my skinny days. And, whenever someone gives me a look or makes a comment, um....I laugh all the way to the bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment