Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Silly Aside

Ok, this is just an example of what my life is like....

I ran out of art trading card blanks. (I'm addicted to making and trading these miniature works of art.) I had already placed an order with dickblick.com (another addiction) and had spent more than I should have on various items including more trading cards, but it wasn't going to arrive until next Tuesday. Since there was no way I could wait that long, I went to my studio to get some sheets of card stock, figuring I'd cut some down with my paper cutter. One problem: no card stock. I keep forgetting to get it.

I called a nearby craft store and they had the pre-cut blanks. I thought, "Great. I'll ask Dad to pick some up on his way home."

But then the Peanut Gallery said, "No, you go."

Now, while I've learned to trust them, I don't do so unquestioningly, especially if I think I'm right, so I presented my case. First, me going into a craft store...well, that's just way too temptation. Plus, I've been tired, and--although the craft store isn't huge and it wouldn't be a ton of walking--I try to avoid going out when I'm already tired.

It didn't matter. They just said, "You go" again.

Fine. I figured at least if I went, I could buy some single sheets of card stock, too, to get my stock pile growing again. Dad picked me up, I found the trading cards, got a few packs, plus a couple of Prismacolor markers, which was silly as I have those coming on Tuesday, too, and they were twice as much as at dickblick.com, but.....well, that's the temptation factor. Then I headed over to the card stock, admiring all the lovely shades I could buy for 49 cents a sheet...

Which was when they said, "Don't."

"But I'm out of card stock and it's only 49 cents a sheet," I thought back.

And they said, "Don't."

I sighed, figured my guides were feeling thrifty, and I put back the markers, then came back to the card stock and started choosing colors of card stock, and they said, "Don't."

At this point, I was very close to talking to them out loud, which I try to avoid doing in public. I mean, here they'd insisted I run the errand myself, and I was pretty sure the reason was to get card stock. Now they wouldn't let me buy it?

Too tired to fight, I put the card stock back.....which was when I saw the pack of assorted colors of card stock. It was pushed way back on the shelf and marked down to a ridiculously low price.

And that's why I listen to those smug spirit guides of mine.....




No comments:

Post a Comment